Mermaid Rug

Saraphina

Saraphina

She is done! And by done of course I mean pretty darn close to done. She is hooked, bound, taped on the back, but still needs the label and the glitter, which I have started but it doesn’t really even show up in this photo. The only glitter you can see is the slashy lines in her hair, and those are coming out (too distracting). There is glittery Sulky floss in the red outline of her tail. It is wonderfully subtle but adds a little oomph! I will put more of that in her tail and hair, then she will be done, as in complete. She is going in the State Fair, along with my Drawn Thread sampler and Morning Dew sampler.

Advertisements

WIPS

Cameryns quilt

Cameryn's quilt

This is my first quilt in awhile…about five years, since the last one was for Kendall! I like making baby quilts that don’t scream “baby”, since there is no telling when the young ‘un will receive it. I’ve got enough deadlines in my life, I don’t need to add more!

This is all pieced and quilted in the middle (ditch), and has languished because now I need to quilt the border, and that involves planning and math, and a strong possibility of getting it wrong. But maybe today is the day…

Chocolat

Chocolat

I’m almost done with the stitching on Chocolat (there are two more medallions rolled over the top of the frame). This will make a needlebox, and is from a class I took from Elegant Stitch back in the fall of 07. The finishing of this project is going to be a challenge. I have simplified it from the original design. It was beautiful and complex, but I really want it to be something I use, so I streamlined it. We’ll see how it comes out.

Fantasy Landscape

Fantasy Landscape

Two Elephants

Two Elephants

X stitch and needlepoint projects I am chugging away on. Both with animal themes, of course.

Mille Fleur

Miller Fleur front

Miller Fleur front

Mille Fleur interior

Mille Fleur interior

The is the completed Mille Fleur needlcase, which is now in service! It resides in the Two Elephants project bag, and inspires me to make needlecases for each project…

I like things to be sturdy, so this needlecase has a lot of layers. I used thick cardboard inside, then covered the cardboard with some stiff mesh I had – I think it is used in making hats. Liberal glue + time + bulldog clips…and I have a very sturdy needlecase! Because of the stiffness, I had to work each “page” (inside front and inside back) separately. I tried to put a single piece of wool across the entire interior, but the push was too great – it caused a big fold in the wool. So, each page is it’s own piece of hand-dyed wool. Under the wool on the front page is the tie ribbon, and a flat rare-earth magnet, which is why the scissors “hover” – they are actually quite secure.

As much as I like to collect them, I don’t use too many gadgets. Scissors, pins, needles and my fiber hiders and I’m good to go! I got the gold bee fiber hiders specifically for this needlecase, and thought long and hard about how to keep them secure. I finally decided on a pocket made from some beautiful wide midnight blue ribbon I had, got out the sewing machine and sewed it up right on the first try!

The other trick I used on this is lots of terrifically tacky tape. This stuff is indespensible if you are using see-through or delicate ribbon that will not take glue well. I taped down the hider pocket, the ribbon down the interior spine, and the ribbon between the pocket and little wool pages (far right). To tape that ribbon down, I made it long and taped it under the wool, to the mesh/cardboard underneath.

The gods were with me on this project, I tell ya. I was puzzling it out as I went, burning brain power, and in the end, it looked pretty good!